First try outs with MP-E 65mm

testMPE-03-2009-064 Today we had a beautiful sunny day, so time to go outside and try my new MPE 65mm.

And it was hard work. First I thought that all the reviews on the internet were a bit exaggerated, when the spoke of a difficult lens, but it was all true. And I loved it.

I can’t say that I have a great result from the beginning, but hey it’s a start. And it looks very promising. I can’t wait to start this journey.

TestMPEDOFStackPyramid I tried some insects but I’m not experienced enough with this lens at the moment to get the results I’m aiming for. So I tried this little screw which is only 10mm long, and I was surprised by the result. This is only a 1x magnification. I also tried the larger magnifications but they were out of focus.

Next was this violet. The photo shown here is a stack of 7 photos. (DOF Stack, I will explain more about that in a later article.) I stacked the image with a program CombineZP.

In short; what such a program does is combine several images with a different focus point so that the final image has a wider DOF. With this lens set on 5x magnification you only have a DOF of 0.048mm at f/2.8 and 0.269mm at f/16. So that is not a lot. So you take several shots in which the focus point shifts by 0.25mm (if lens is set at 5x f/16) and CombineZP merges these images into one.

The last pictures show a Woodlouse. The picture on the left is a handmade stack (I used Adobe Photoshop) out of the two photos on the right.

When I shot these I did not had the intension to make stack, so I had to pull some tricks out of my sleeve to get to this result. If you look closely you will see al the imperfections, but hey I am happy with the result.
More to come…

Tags: , , , , ,

Your thoughts

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *